Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Five years ago

I was sick, just getting over a nasty cold/sinus infection. I had a mouth full of canker sores and I was tired.  We were sitting on my parents'  front porch, snuggling under blankets on the swing. It looks like rain.  Suddenly he decides we need to walk. I resist. Must we really walk, now? Yes, he is insistent. I dare not argue. I have a sneaky suspicion what is going to happen.  We decide to go to the park to walk, to see what Spring is working.  As we drive it starts to drizzle and since the weather is cool, we must first stop at his house so he can change from his shorts into pants. I wait in the car, nervous and excited for what I'm sure is going to happen. I finger the ring on my left ring finger. The ring I have worn since my mother gave it to me when I was 11. The ring she wore when she was 11. I pull it off and place it on the opposite hand. Am I too bold? Do I really know what is coming? He returns and we drive to the park.  The rain suddenly stops and we walk and then sit on a bench under a weeping willow not yet in full leaf. We sit and talk. I wonder when it will happen. Then, he kneels. I can't contain my smile. I want to scream YES! before he is even done. He asks, "Heather Evelyn teBokkel, will you marry me?" Of course I can't help but grin, a smile that is threatening to split my face in half. Yes, yes, a thousand yeses!  Then I laugh. The ring that he has pulled from his pocket, the ring we picked out not that long ago, it has a little piece of lint, a fluff, caught in the centre diamond. He grins his silly grin as he pulls it off and slides it on my finger. The moment couldn't have been more perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! This story is awfully familiar to me. :-) On a drizzly and cool day, Nick took his feverish girlfriend on a hike to the top of one of the highest peaks in VA, and proposed (quite certain that I hadn't suspected a thing! ;-)). Of course, my grin was about as big as yours, and my answer very much the same as yours!

    Thanks for sharing your story. It made me smile a lot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cancer sores, eh?
    I think you mean canKer sores . . .
    :)

    ReplyDelete