Pages

Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Cooking......cloths?

Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who fights against stinky washcloths. Please tell me I'm not the only one who fights against stinky washcloths. Anyone? Anyone?  Ok, well I'll just continue with my thrilling story.

Hi, my name is Heather and I fight against stinky washcloths. I wash my towels, cloths, bibs etc on HOT. But still, regardless of my efforts sometimes my cloths still stink. Nothing worse than taking out a clean cloth, wetting it down only to have it smell like it's been used for a month, never rinsed, chewed on by a dog, and then sat in a dark, dank corner of the basement for a week.

So, what do I do? Go to the place where I can find answers to many, many problems. No, no, I know you're thinking Google, but you're incorrect. I'm thinking about my mom. Seriously this woman is a fount of knowledge!

Turns out you can "lift" that smell and stains(think wiping banana smeared mouths every morning for the last year and half) right out. I have to be completely honest, I have known about this for a long time. My mom used to "cook" diapers to get rid of smell and stain.

I know, you're thinking.. "cook diapers"? How disgusting revolting is that? Trust  me, we had a special pot for that, and ya... it didn't always smell so great, but they came out clean and smelling pretty better.

So my mom found me this big old pot and I decided it was time to cook my facecloths, bibs and kitchen cloths. I, of course, choose a really hot, humid day to do it, but that's not the point.

Here's how difficult it is:

1. Fill a pot with hot water
2. Put a scoop of OxiClean in.
3. Dump your cloths in.
4. Stir to mix OxiClean and cloths together
5. Place on stove on high heat until it comes to a simmer
6. Simmer for half an hour to an hour.
7. Dump out into the sink
8. Throw cloths into washing machine with rest of your load.
9. Be amazed when they are WAY cleaner and almost like new when they're done!

My cloths were so dirty, halfway through I dumped my water and started with a clean pot of water and more OxiClean.

Now in case, you're sceptical, here is proof.

See those lovely stains(who knew banana would stain so much?)

See those same stains now? I think not!


And here is my kitchen cloth. I purposely am showing you one with holes in it so you know this is well-used cloth and not a brand new one that was hardly dirty at all!

So? What are you waiting for? Go to BFM, find a big pot and get cleaning those cloths!

You're welcome.

Also, do you like that this post is labeled under "cooking" ?

2 comments:

  1. Bwahaha! That last line made me belly laugh.
    You are not alone in your fight! I have a cycle - as cloths start to develop an odor they go from bath washcloths to kitchen rags to outdoor rags to garbage. Which means I have to keep replenishing my bath washcloths. The cycle can cease! Hooray! And I am not surprised at all that this tip came from your mom.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have fresh face cloths again too! I had a bright pink one in the pot though, so the white ones were bled on :-) I didn't have oxyclean, so I used dishsoap...oh well, I never follow recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete