Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Ontbijk Koek

Honey Loaf really, but in our house, it's just koek. Katie's favourite snack is koek. Forget the chocolate chip cookies, if there is koek to be had, that girl is eating it! This is an old standby that I have made countless times.


Growing up at home, we always made it in a big yellow tupperware bowl. I don't know why, we just did. A few years ago I found a big yellow tupperware bowl at a yardsale. Yay!  A a bowl for making koek! Weird, I know, but I just HAVE to make it in that bowl. Ben questioned me and I didn't have an answer except that we always did when we were growing up, so I couldn't help myself. Ok, enough random history about my childhood. I'm fairly positive someone will ask for the recipe, so here it is!

Ontbijk Koek. aka. Honey Loaf. aka Koek 
4 c. Flour
2 c. Sugar
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 c. Honey/Syrup(I usually use Corn Syrup)
2 c. Hot water/coffee. I always use coffee, usually leftover.

Mix dry ingredients. Mix syrup and coffee together and pour into dry ingredients. Mix well but not overly. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.  Let sit 10-15 minutes and remove from pans onto cooling rack.
NOTE* My koek usually rises fairly high and consequently is starting to darken(too much) on the sides before it's cooked all the way on the top. The last five minutes I usually put a sheet of aluminium foil on top to help cook the top a bit faster.  You'll also have to fiddle a bit to get the loaf out of the pan. I use a pancake flipper to ease the koek away from the sides of the pan.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, Thank you so much for including the recipe ... It is much appreciated. Helen

    ReplyDelete