Pages

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Croquette Recipe

I've had a few requests for the recipe so here you are! It's actually my sister-in-law's so you can thank her :-)

CROQUETTES
4 heaping cups chopped turkey

4 cups liquid (2 cups broth saved from cooking the turkey, 2 cups water)
3 tbsp. Chicken soup base

Bring to a boil, then turn down and cook for 15 minutes.

Add ½ cup margarine and spices:
1 tsp each – chili powder, nutmeg, paprika, poultry seasoning, curry powder, celery salt, pepper, salt

When margarine is melted, add 2 - 2 ½ cups flour ½ cup at a time to thicken. The thicker it is, the easier it is to shape and roll afterwards.

Dump onto cookie sheet and let cool until it's warm enough to handle. Roll into logs or balls, and then roll them in flour to coat.

Dip into a mixture of eggs/milk (about half and half) with shot of oil. Then roll into breadcrumbs (we used a mixture of seasoned and regular, so whatever you have is fine).

Deep-fry them until golden brown – about 3 minutes, depending on your deep-fryer.

One batch makes 30 croquettes (which were approx ¼ cup of the dough each).

NOTES: We cooked our turkeys in boiling water on the stove, as opposed to baking it. Cover the turkey parts (legs and wings were removed from body first) with water, throw in a couple of bay leaves, bring to a boil, and then simmer and let boil for 2 hours. The meat falls right off the bones! Save the broth in the pan to use for the croquettes.

I freeze them (it works well to freeze them on cookie sheets, and then transfer to large ziplock bags – then you just pull out whatever you need each time), and then bake them from frozen for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

4 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this recipe!
    can't wait to try them.
    do you deep fry them all before you freeze them?
    i usually freeze them and deep fry them when we eat them, and wondered if your way is easier, or am i misunderstanding you?
    thanks
    connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! We deepfried them all first and then we just have to pop them in the oven when we want to eat them. Saves getting the deepfrier out every time.
      Just curious, how did you find my blog, Connie?

      Delete
  2. Hi, does this mean that I must confess to being a "creeper"?
    When my little guy is napping, and before I begin dinner for our other 6 children, who are at work or in school, I sit and glean from some blogs. It all started with my niece and from there I found stepping heavenward (scott and jen) and from there, I found yours. I love reading about everyday life, of mommy's both older and younger then me. You have two beautiful little girls, and I believe I have met or even heard speak, your mother-in-law at FRC ladies league days, in years past.
    So, I hope you don't mind that I crept over and found your lovely blog. I have actually made another recipe that you posted at an earlier time also. Us "older" mom's, sometimes like to try new foods too:)
    Thanks, and take care
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, Connie! No worries, I'm a "creeper" too! Sometimes I'm many "steps" from the blog I started on! I don't mind at all that you're reading! It was nice to "hear" from you :-) All the best!

      Delete