Pages

Saturday, February 02, 2013

China Cabinet

Our China cabinet hasn't been much of a china cabinet as much as it's been a catch-all/extra storage unit. We didn't have glass in the doors and everything would aquire a good layer of dust faster than I could keep it off. The result? Dusty dishes that had to be washed before used.

I've wanted doors on the cabinet for forever, but we thought was going to be a big expense so we put it off. Had I know it would only been $60 we would have done it a LONG time ago.

There are a few special pieces I can now display properly.


My aunt and uncle had given us a set of antique dishes before we were married and they sat in a box until last week.
I haven't been able to find a date to these dishes, but they're all hand painted and I think hand-turned as they're just a little bit different. The only thing I could find is that they're from the early 1930's.

We bought two trays of silver (plated I assume) pieces at an estate sale a few years ago and they were just sitting under a bed getting tarnished. I still need to polish them, but I need silver polish first. My baptism cup is also finally out of a box.

A old lady (is that rude to say?) who comes to the cemetery(her husband and daughter are buried there) often has kind of adopted Ben and us. Our kids call her Grandma Leeson and she gives them birthday and Christmas money for their birthday just like the rest of her grandkids! Anyways, she gave Ben (well me I guess) two Royal Doultons as a thank-you for "all the work" Ben does for her.
 
One of the silver tray has a pot for loose coin and other "bits" and the other silver dish holds Ben's, keys, phone etc when he's home. 

It took me forever to arrange everything, but I'm very please with the end result. I can't help but smile every time I walk by.



5 comments:

  1. Looks so nice! Is that fresh polish I also detect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks beautiful! I am jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice!!! I love the dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Heather!! That looks awesome. Love those dishes....next time we come for dinner can we eat off them? :-) We can have a dinner party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old belongings. I can imagine stories about the previous owners! If I were a fly on the wall!

    ReplyDelete