Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

My 3 year-old Katie

Somehow, three years have passed since I gave birth to my firstborn. Three years filled with so much laughter and a few tears. If I had to choose one word to describe Katie, I think I'd have to choose Dramatic. Everything is a big deal, happy or sad, it's a big deal. There isn't a whole lot of "medium" with Katie. She's full of spunk, and bounce and she rarely walks these days. She's usually bouncing and hopping from place to place asking "why" on every bounce. Contrary to her the first half of her life which she spent contentedly sitting in one place and playing quietly, she's now bouncing and singing while she plays.

She has an imagination that can imagine anything anywhere. She had Ben move a sitting chair in our living room to get her mouse. After Ben had moved the chair, she picked up an imagination mouse with a "there it is!" and walked away. Ben's response? "If it's an imaginary mouse, you can find it somewhere else!"  You can give her anything (I mean anything) and she can pretend it's a baby, an animal etc.

She wants to know what everything is and wants the detail. She rarely forgets anything and will tell you days later exactly what you explained to her about chimneys, Bible stories, seasons, etc.

Like a typical three-year-old , she loves to share all the little details of her life and the "news" of the week with people she knows and perfect strangers. Sometimes it's slightly... awkward.

She has "grownup" phrases like, "Actually....."  "Just a minute, I'll be there in a second" "Well, I think that...." "I don't care for chocolate milk" Hilarious!

She's been kind of a bully lately, pushing Emma around and having little conniptions when things don't go her way. We're trying to "sit" on her; it's a lot of work!

She can be super helpful and loves to do jobs for me. She now uses the dustbuster to clean up all the crumbs under the table and she wipes the table after supper. She often helps set the table too and thinks it's hilarious when she gives Ben her plate and takes his.

She loves to play jokes and will pretend to eat your cookie for "a good joke." She also LOVES to be chased and hide. She loves to be scared, which is good because I love hiding and jumping out at her. It sounds mean, but she loves it. I also love doing it to Ben; he is slightly less appreciative.

She loves to pretend to be other people or characters. Strawberry Shortcake, Raggedy Ann, Casey and her puppy is Finnigan (Remember, from Mr. Dressup?) If she's fighting me on doing something, like going to the bathroom, all I have to do is make it into a game. It'll go something like this:
Me: "Katie, I'd like you to go to the bathroom now."
Katie: "No, I don't have to."
Me: "Well, I'd like you to try anyways."
Katie: "I don't haaaaave to goooo..."
Me: "Oh, Strawberry Shortcake, don't you have to go to the bathroom?"
Katie: "Oh! (face lights up) Ya! I have to go. I'm Strawberry Shortcake!"

It works. Every. time.

Sometimes she pretends too much and we have to tell her to be Katie for a while. Or she'll try to get out of something naughty she did and blame it on her character.... not a chance!


She is a total joy and riot to have around. She can be trying at times, but she has a tender heart willing to be molded (most of the time). She loves to please, loves to sing and is eager to learn.

We can't imagine our life without her and we're thankful to God for giving her to us to raise and love. What a weighty task!

2 comments:

  1. She sounds like so much fun . . . and reminds me a lot of Kylie too with the fantastic imagination. As I type, she is in the next room and hasn't stopped talking for the last hour - she is playing with her Polly Pockets and they are all VERY real people to her! I can really appreciate a child with an imagination b/c I also have a son that lacks in imagination) but he makes up for it in other areas). An imagination is a great friend and entertainer.
    I enjoyed reading your writeup:)

    ReplyDelete