Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

My Birthday

It was my birthday on Tuesday. Now I like my birthday as much as the next person, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I'm not offended if you don't say happy birthday to me and although I enjoy gifts, they're are the last item on my love languages list, physical touch and quality time vying for the number one position. 

I said to Ben last week, or complained rather, that he is so busy, all the free time he has is spent on church stuff or house renos. Saturday's are full of squeezing in as much work as possible, which is fine, but sometimes it'd be nice to just take a day trip just for fun. Anyways, I was bemoaning this and was consoled with a "I know, I know."  And we just kind of left it at that. Little did I know...

The weekend before my birthday, Ben was taunting me with "I already got you a present and you dooooon't knoOOoOOw!" I had no clue what he had got me or when! Tuesday morning I got a "happy birthday, dear!" and off to work he went. As he left I said, "I thought maybe my present would be that you took the day off." Not to be. The morning passed normally enough and my mom came for coffee. I got a call from the flower shop that they were going to make a delivery and would I be home. Ahh! So that's what it is! Flowers delivered!   My mom left and the kids started crying because it was lunch time. Suddenly Ben walked in the door! Oh! Are you home for lunch? Or for good?   He just smiled mysteriously and said he needed to shower and I needed to change and put some nice clothes on. Okaaaay.....

We quickly ate lunch and he says, "Oh and the girls are going to your parents." Whaaaat?? So I get dressed, fix my hair, face and everything and we're out the door. My mom is also just smiling mysteriously. "Oh and we're also taking your parents car and leaving ours." Double whaaat?? 

So we're driving along and I still have no clue where we're going or what we're doing. After about 10 minutes it suddenly clicked and I guessed. Stratford! To see Fiddler on the Roof!

We took our time driving up the back roads, stopping to snoop through an old church full of old books. I found a few treasures and soaked in the smell of old bookstores, creaky floors and classical music, SO good!  We had lots of time so we stopped for a bite to eat and then walked around a few shops in Stratford. We went out for dinner to The Church Restaurant, which is a classy, put-the-napkins-in-your-lap-for-you kind of place. We had a nice, leisurely dinner with no jumping up to get stuff, fill up milk cups, wipe up spills or feed children. Our normal supper time is usually half an hour. We took an hour and half--lovely!

After that we made our way to the theatre. It was a packed house, 98% sold out! The play was incredible! I grew up with Fiddler on the Roof. We watched the movie countless times, we had the record, the CD and my family can probably sing every song word for word. It was hard not to sing along sometimes! The opening made me cry, the middle made me cry and the end made me cry. But don't worry, there was laughter and smiles in between. Hearing the music and singing live was just overwhelming, combined with pregnancy hormones... well.... It's a good thing it was dark in there!

We weren't home until 12:30. Yawn! Emma woke up for some reason and started crying which woke Katie up, but it was nice to snuggle them all warm and cozy from sleeping. After that we tumbled into bed and we were probably sleeping before our heads hit the pillows!

It was a wonderful, birthday surprise! I don't know what the best part was: the surprise, the chance to just talk for hours, or the play itself. I do know though, that I am extremely blessed to have a husband like Ben to walk beside in my daily life; I wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. the flower that were delivered weren't from Ben. My sister in Scotland had them sent. Isn't she the sweetest?




1 comment:

  1. Happy (belated) Birthday!
    Reading your post brings tears of joy; a lucky gal you are for sure!
    Lovely of Scotland (err - Hannah) to send the beautiful gerber daisies.
    Please send my best wishes to her as well.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete